Neurology & Neurosurgery Clinic
The human nervous system is the most vulnerable in the human body and it request a lot of effort to be treated. Diseases of the nervous system can be caused by different factors: genetic predisposition, infections, poisoning, trauma, physical and mental fatigue. To return a person to high quality of life in neurological disorders is a difficult and very important task.
Clinic of Neurology and Neurosurgery of MC Erebouni provides a full range of specialized medical care for patients with diseases of the central and peripheral nervous system from diagnosis to high-tech surgical treatment, including the urgent mode.
The clinic implemented an integrative approach to the treatment of neurological diseases, which is carried out by experienced professionals in the field of neuroimaging (MRI, MDCT, PET), vascular neurosurgery, neurosurgery, neuro-oncology, neuro-rehabilitation and vertebrology, with the participation of leading specialists of Erebouni MC.
Each patient receives only individual corresponding to his needs treatment. Only if conservative or minimally invasive therapies do not bring the desired effect the possibility of surgical intervention based on the most modern techniques are considered.
Neurology Department - Head of the Department Dr. Nune Yeghiazaryan
|Center of Neuroimmunology and Multiple Sclerosis – Head Dr.Armine Kteyan|
|Prepublican Epilepsy Center – Head Dr. T. Stepanyan|
|Stroke Center – Head Dr. David Sahakyan|
|Cerebrovascular Neurosurgery Service – Head Dr. David Sahakyan|
|Department of Neurosurgery – Head of the Department Prof. Mamikon A. Egunyan|
|Spine Pathology and Vertebral Surgery Department – Head of the Department Dr. Karapet G. Momjyan|
In the Neurology Department highly qualified specialists performs complex diagnostics and treatment of acute and chronic pathology and functional disorders of the central and peripheral nervous system. In the department are introducted the modern treatment regimens of neurological diseases that recommended by the International Association of Neurologists.
As part of Neurology Department there are operates such specialized services as:
Service of Neuromuscular Disorders Treatment which performs the diagnostics and treatment of patients with various neuromuscular diseases, including neuropathy (axonal and demyelinating), radiculopathy, myopathies and disorders of neuromuscular synapses.
|Service of Sleep Disorders Treatment that deals with the diagnostics and treatment of all types of sleep disorders, including insomnia (insomnia), respiratory disorders during sleep, such as sleep apnea, motor disorders during sleep, as well as the problems of excessive sleepiness (hypersomnia, narcolepsy), parasomnias and sleep circadian rhythm disorders.|
|Service of Movement Disorders Treatment
In its diagnostic and therapeutic activity the Neurology Department is working closely with other specialized departments of MC Erebouni: diagnostics, neurosurgery, neuroangiology, spine pathology, physiotherapy and rehabillitation, et al.
Center of Neuroimmunology and Multiple Sclerosis provides the diagnostics, treatment and follow-up of patients with multiple sclerosis. Today, the center has about 100 patients under outpatient monitoring observation. In the diagnostics of the disease it is used the entire arsenal of contemporary equipment of Diagnostic Clinic.
Highly skilled specialists of the center carried out the treatment of patients in accordance with international standards and guidelines, using the latest achievements in medicine..
Republican Epilepsy Center carries a wide range of examination tests as an outpatient and inpatient patients with convulsive conditions, eliminating or adopt diagnosis of epilepsy with a precise definition of the form of the disease.
The Centre carried out:
- adjustment of individual anticonvulsant therapy,
- determination of the patient's management tactics,
- monitoring of the level of anti-epileptic drugs in the blood in case of their low therapeutic effect
- detection of side effects of anticonvulsants and its corrections,
- definition of the time and tactic of discharge from the antiepileptic drugs,
- development and implementation of the most advanced protocols of examination and treatment of patients with epilepsy,
- patient's education in problems of epilepsy.
The department also carries out the diagnostics and treatment of patients suffering from the following diseases or conditions:
- demyelinating diseases,
- Multiple Sclerosis
- revelation of the causes and treatment of the headaches,
- dizziness, revelation of the causes and treatment
- diseases of the peripheral nervous system, etc.
At the Stroke Center it is adapted and used guidelines and protocols of the University of Alberta. There is carried out:
- Fast diagnosis of the patient's condition - his rapid clinical and laboratory examination, which get possible because of 24/7 format of diagnostic services
- computed tomography
- presence of highly equipped intensive care unit, which allow provision of treatment of stroke in acute stage with the use of such contemporary methods as administration of tissue thromboplastin activator
- availability of highly specialized equipment and angioneurologists, allowing implementation of angioneurological interventions that not only serves the patient's life and decrease the risks of possible complications but also decrease the risk of disability
- identification of recurrent stroke risk factors and their correction
- rehabillitation of the patients after stroke
- outpatient monitoring, control and treatment of patients after stroke
Each patient provided with an individual approach: the patients and their relatives are informed appropriately regarding his condition, the course of treatment and the purpose of performed examinations.
Cerebrovascular Neurosurgery Service specializes in providing qualified neuroangiological interventions (endovascular) care for patients with vascular pathologies of the central nervous system, such as:
- Saccular aneurysm
- Arteriovenous malformations (AVMs)
- Arteriovenous fistula (AVF), carotid cavernous fistula, (FCC)
- Carotid stenosis
- Stenosis of the vertebral arteries
- Stenosis of intracranial arteries
- Hypervascular tumor
- Acute ischemic stroke
Qualified specialists of the Department provide:
- high quality comprehensive diagnosis of the causes and mechanisms of transient ischemic attack and stroke,
- the special methods of treatment of stroke, including its complications,
- development of individual programs for the prevention of stroke.
The Department of Neurosurgery of MC Erebouni performs about 500 surgeries in various diseases of the brain and spinal injuries (traumatic hematoma, fractures and spinal injuries, tumors of the brain and spinal cord), the peripheral nerves and nerve plexus, brain vessels (endovascular treatment of vascular diseases of the brain). It is also performs the surgeries in diseases caused by degenerative changes of the spine: intervertebral hernias, spondylolisthesis, stenosis of spinal canal etc.
At the department operates also the service of "Endoecological Rehabilitation", which carried out an innovative conservative treatment of degenerative diseases of the spine, regardless of their etiopathogenesis.
Diseases and conditions in which patients should apply to the Department of Neurosurgery are
- neurooncology (tumors of the brain and spinal cord, neuromas)
- cerebrovascular disease (hemorrhagic, ischemic stroke, arterial aneurysm, arteriovenous malformation)
- diseases of the brain with hydrocephalus syndrome
- hernia intervertebral disks, ischemia of the nerve roots, spinal stenosis,
- tunnel and pain syndromes
- nerve plexus injury, nerve injury, spinal cord injury
- craniocerebral injury, intracranial hematoma
- trigeminal neuralgia
In the Department of Spine Pathology and Vertebral Surgery carries out the treatment of all kinds of diseases and injuries of the spine:
- deformation of the spine (scoliosis, osteochondrosis)
- degenerative diseases of the spine (low back pain, herniated discs, stenosis of spinal channel , instability of the vertebrae)
- spondylolysis or spondylolisthesis of the lumbar part of the vertebrae,
- correction of the spinal curvature in ankylosing spondylitis
- malignant and benign tumors of the spine,
- fractures and dislocations of the vertebrae
- correction of post-traumatic and postoperative spinal deformities.
Generally, treatment is carried out surgically, using modern technologies and tools.
For accurate diagnostics each patient thoroughly discussed by a multidisciplinary team of medical specialists. The specialists of different departments of MC Erebouni forms multi-disciplinary team, which includes: vertebroneurologists, neurosurgeons, orthopedists, reflexologist, therapist, anesthesiologists, kinesitherapist, physiotherapist, radiologists.