Cerebrovascular Neurosurgery Service
Contemporary technology of endovascular treatment of cerebral aneurysms and arteriovenous malformations, stenotic lesions of the main arteries of the head and neck had been introduced into clinical practice in MC Erebouni in February 2014 as a part of the Department of Neurosurgery. In June 2015 in Erebouni MC was founded Cerebrovascular Neurosurgery Service.
Due to activity of Cerebrovascular Neurosurgery Service the quality of treatment of patients with vascular pathologies of the central nervous system is cardinally improved. This significantly improve the results of treatment and prevention of cerebral strokes, bringing them to the international index level.
- Saccular aneurysm
- Arteriovenous malformations (AVMs)
- Arteriovenous fistula (AVF), carotid cavernous fistula, (FCC)
- Carotid stenosis
- Stenosis of the vertebral arteries
- Stenosis of intracranial arteries
- Hypervascular tumor
- Acute ischemic stroke
Qualified specialists of the Department provide:
- high quality comprehensive diagnosis of the causes and mechanisms of transient ischemic attack and stroke,
- the special methods of treatment of stroke, including its complications,
- development of individual programs for the prevention of stroke.
During patients stay at the department they undergo to all necessary examinations to identify the presence and degree of atherosclerotic lesions of the main arteries of the brain:
- duplex scanning of carotid, vertebral, and intracranial arteries
- cerebral angiography
- transcranial Doppler
- detection of microemboli
- determination of hemodynamic reserve
- X-ray examination
Cerebrovascular Neurosurgery Service performs following neuroangiological intervention
- Diagnostic cerebrovascular angiography
- Diagnostic spinal angiography
- Micro coil embolization (aneurysm, APS)
- Onyx embolization (AVM, AVF, hypervascular tumors)
- Balloon angioplasty of stenotic carotid, vertebral, and intracranial arteries
- stenting of stenotic carotid, vertebral, and intracranial arteries,
- Stent-assisted micro coil obliteration of aneurysms
- superselective intra-arterial administration of drugs (thrombolytic and antiplatelet in acute ischemic stroke, cerebral vasodilating in cerebral vasospasm occurred in subarachnoid hemorrhage)
- Mechanical thrombectomy (acute ischemic stroke)
Cerebrovascular Neurosurgery Service as a part of the multi-disciplinary clinic that working closely with other departments of Erebouni MC provides specialized high-quality medical care to patients with cerebrovascular disease both isolated and in conjunction with the pathology of other organs and systems.
Close partnership with foreign specialists from the US, Canada, EU and Russia allow to optimize existing and develop new strategies for the treatment of cerebrovascular pathologies.
Neuroangiological interventions are conducted in a specially equipped operating room with the help of modern bi-plan angiography system - Siemens Artis Zee, which has no analogues in Armenia.
During the procedures the instruments of well known manufacturers such as Covidien, Terumo, Microvention, Cordis, Penumbra, Asahi, etc are used.
The department provides the treatment of the following diseases and conditions:
- One of the priority directions of activity of the department is intervention on carotid arteries;
- Study of hemodynamic of cerebral arteries, arteriovenous malformations and aneurysms and effect on the blood flow of different methods of surgical treatment of vascular disease.
- Increased use of flow-diversion techniques for the treatment of cerebral aneurysms, as well as methods of selective thrombolysis and tromb-extraction for the treatment of ischemic stroke in the acute phase.
- Development of mechanisms of complete coverage of patients that are in need of revascularization surgery of cerebral arteries for the prevention and treatment of ischemic brain stroke.
- In the near future jointly with the department of interventional cardiology it is planned research and developments on the issue of the combined lesions of the brain and heart and investigation of the impact of heart disease on cerebral blood flow.
- The implementation of programs for prevention of stroke