Republican Epilepsy Centre
Republican Epileptology Center was founded in 1994 by Prof. Darbinyan V.J. and is a clinical basis for chair of Neurology of Yerevan State Medical University.
The Center carries a wide range of outpatient and inpatient examinations to clarify the diagnosis of epilepsy with a precise definition of its type and form. The careful selection of anticonvulsive therapy and prolonged monitoring is performed at the Center.
The most informative examination, especially in complex cases is a daily EEG that permits to evaluate the bioelectric activity of the brain with definition of epi-activity in case of its presence. This examination is carried out for adults and in difficult cases includes the sleep deprivation (exception of sleep for 24-36 hours).
The tasks of the epileptology center:
- Diagnosis and treatment of idiopathic epilepsy (genetically determined),
- Diagnosis and treatment of symptomatic (acquired) epilepsies, including those that caused by congenital malformations of the brain, hereditary metabolic diseases, chromosomal disorders, aftermath of hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy of newborn and also by symptomatic vascular, post-stroke, post-traumatic, oncogenic or post-infection epilepsy,
- Diagnosis and treatment of cryptogenic (with unknown etiology) epilepsy,
- Diagnosis and treatment of epileptic encephalopathies (West syndrome, Lennox-Gastaut syndrome, Landau-Kleffner syndrome, status epilepticus phase of slow wave sleep and others.),
- Evaluation of the risk of inheritance of epilepsy in families that burdened with this disease,
- Dynamic follow-up of patients with epilepsy,
- Conduct multidisciplinary medical consultation of patients in complex diagnostic cases,
- Hospitalization for confirmation / exclusion of symptomatic forms of epilepsy (CT scan, MRI of the brain, prolonged EEG monitoring, video-EEG monitoring, determination of anticonvulsant medicine in the blood, etc.).
Indications for appointment to the Center:
- for first time diagnosed epilepsy
- epilepsy resistant treatment
- epileptic syndrome of unknown etiology
- epilepsy and epileptic syndrome of various etiologies
- unclassified and unspecified paroxysmal states
The Centre carries out:
- selection of individual anticonvulsant therapy,
- determination of the patient's management tactics,
- monitoring of the level of anti-epileptic drugs in the blood in case of their low therapeutic effect,
- detection of side effects of anticonvulsants and its corrections,
- definition of the time and tactic of discharge from the antiepileptic drugs,
- development and implementation of the most advanced protocols of examination and treatment of patients with epilepsy,
- patient's education in problems of epilepsy.
In the department also created the conditions for the diagnosis and treatment of patients suffering from the following diseases or conditions:
- demyelinating diseases,
- Multiple Sclerosis,
- establishment of the causes and treatment of the headaches,
- dizziness, establishing the causes and treatment,
- diseases of the peripheral nervous system, etc.
All the specialists of the center have their specialization in Neurology; are members of various European Neurological Societies, including the International League Against Epilepsy (International League Against Epilepsy (ILAE) - www.ilae.org), association for sleep disorders, association for motion system disorders.
Besides of complete set of diagnostic clinic facilities the department has:
- intensive care unit with a central oxygen supply and with individual monitoring,
- a set of equipment for EEG / EEG for various durations examination, including EEG monitoring, EEG after sleep deprivation,
The priority areas of the center's activity are:
- an outpatient and inpatient consultation and examination of the patient with epilepsy
- selection of anticonvulsant therapy,
- long-term monitoring of patients.
- an inpatients and outpatients diagnosis and treatment of the patients, suffering from multiple sclerosis and other demyelinating diseases.
Periodically organized and performed (15.08. - 23.08.2008. and 13.09. -18.09.2013) The Caucasian Regional Summer School on topical issues of epileptology.
One of the important projects performed by Epileptology Center is the social integration of children who suffer from the epilepsy (Gyumri); Stroke Summer School for young neurologists, June 6-8, 2014. Tsaghkadzor.
Being the part of multiprofile medical center, the Department realizes the diagnostics, treatment and monitoring of the patients, who suffer from headaches, vertigo, diseases of the peripheral nervous system and etc., including those who gets treatment in other departments of Erebouni Medical Center.
The priorities of Epileptology Center activity are:
- Epilepsy and other paroxysmal disorders of the nervous system.
- Multiple sclerosis and other demyelinating diseases
- Diseases of the peripheral nervous system
|Tatyana Stepanyan, MD Write a letter Head of Department of Epilepsy epileptologist|
|Anna Babayan MD Write a letter neurologist||Armine Kteyan MD Write a letter neurologist|
|Zara Khechumyan MD Write a letter neurologist||Tamara Valyukh MD Write a letter neurologist|
|Irena Shadyan MD Write a letter neurologist||Lilit Minasyan MD Write a letter neurologist|
|Margarita Jaghatspanyan MD Write a letter neurologist||Marianna Ghambaryan MD Write a letter neurologist|
|Nara Nahapetyan MD Write a letter neurologist||Hasmik Hambartsumyan MD Write a letter neurologist|
|Hasmik Amroyan MD Write a letter neurologist|
Chair of Neurology of YSMU
Employees engaged in teaching activities
– Hasmik Hambardzumyan
– Hasmik Amroyan
- Nune Yeghiazaryan, MD, , Darbinyan VG, Melikyan GR, Hambartcumyan H, Stepanyan TH, Nahapetyan N. - Efficacy of Seizure control with Conventional AEDs in 376 Adult Patients with Epilepsy In Armenia: Epilepsy Database in Situation of no other Treatment options , Epilepsia
- Nune Yeghiazaryan, MD, , Melikyan GR, Khechumyan Z, Stepanyan T, Amroyan H, Shadyan I, Nahapetyan N, Ghambaryan M, Mkhitaryan L, Kalashyan HM, Janikyan K. - Epilepsy care in Armenia , Armenian Journal of Mental Health
- Nune Yeghiazaryan, MD, , T. Stepanyan, Z. Khechumyan, N. Nahapetyan, I. Shadyan, H. Muradyan, M. Ghambaryan, H. Amroyan, V. Mnatsakanyan, H. Kalashyan, G. Melikyan - Epilepsy Care in Armenia , European Journal of Neurology
- Nune Yeghiazaryan, MD, , Striano P, Accorsi P, Pinelli L, Faravelli F, Zara F, Minetti C, Giordano L. - Familial nonkinesigenic paroxysmal dyskinesia and intracranial calcifications: A new syndrome? , Mov Disord
- Nune Yeghiazaryan, MD, , Pezzella M, Veggiotti P, Bettinelli A, Giudizioso G, Zara F, Striano P, Minetti C. - Galloway-Mowat syndrome: an early-onset progressive encephalopathy with intractable epilepsy associated to renal impairment. Two novel cases and review of literature , Seizure
- Nune Yeghiazaryan, MD, , I. Shadyan, Z. Khechumyan, T. Stepanyan, G. Melikyan - HEMIPLEGIC MIGRAINE: A SERIES OF 7 PATIENTS , European Journal of Pain Supplements
- Nune Yeghiazaryan, MD, , Striano P, Spaccini L, Pezzella M, Cassandrini D, Zara F, Mastrangelo M. - Long-term follow-up in two siblings with pyridoxine-dependent seizures associated with a novel ALDH7A1 mutation , Eur J Paediatr Neurol
- Nune Yeghiazaryan, MD, , M. Dzaghatspanyan, Z. Khechumyan, T. Stepanyan - Posterior reversible encephalopathy syndrome as an initial manifestation of Guillain-Barre syndrome , XXth World Congress of Neurology
- Nune Yeghiazaryan, MD, , Federico Zara, Giuseppe Capovilla, Giorgia Brigati, Pasquale Striano, Raffaele Falsaperla - Pyridoxine-dependent epilepsy: An under-recognised cause of intractable seizures , Journal of Paediatrics and Child health
- Nune Yeghiazaryan, MD, , S.G. Khachatryan; Z.D. Tavadyan; G.R. Melikyan, T.H. Stepanyan, H.M. Manvelyan - Quantitative assessment of quality of life ratings in Armenian Epilepsy patients , Issues of theoretical and clinical medicine
- Nune Yeghiazaryan, MD, , Darbinyan VG, Melikyan GR, Soukhoudyan BG - Raising Awareness of community about epilepsy in Spitak , European Journal of Neurology
- Nune Yeghiazaryan, MD, , G.R. Melikyan, B.G. Sukhudyan, Z.V. Khechumyan, V. Zh. Darbinyan - Raising awareness on epilepsy among teachers and caregivers in earthquake zone , Second International Medical Congress of Armenia
- Nune Yeghiazaryan, MD, , Darbinyan V. Zh. - Reproductive endocrine disorders in women with epilepsy. Erebouni Medical Messenger , Erebouni Medical Messenger, 2004; 2 (18): 78-88. Yerevan, Armenia
- Nune Yeghiazaryan, MD, , Darbinyan V. Zh, Melikyan G. R, Soukhudyan B. G. - Social integration of patients with epilepsy in Spitak , Erebouni Medical Messenger, 2004; 3 (19): 41-43. Yerevan, Armenia
- Nune Yeghiazaryan, MD, , Morana G, Veggiotti P, Savino G, Minetti C, Rossi A, Striano P, Giordano L. - Temporal lobe epilepsy and hippocampal malrotation: is there a causal association? Epilepsy Behav
- Nune Yeghiazaryan, MD, , Melikyan G. - The diagnostic and treatment gap of epilepsy in Armenia , Bulletin of the MI after Mehrabyan